[nycbug-talk] Good unmanaged switch brands

tim jacques netmantej at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 19:02:49 EDT 2007

On 10/11/07, Isaac Levy <ike at lesmuug.org> wrote:

> Word,  Iraq?!  Wow,
>
> On Oct 11, 2007, at 5:33 PM, Jonathan Stewart wrote:
>
> > I'm looking at buying 4 or 5 8-16 port unmanaged switches for
> > setting up
> > shared satellite internet access in Iraq and I was wondering if people
> > had any preferred brands.
>
> I've deployed TONS of the little Netgear swtitches, in various sizes
> and in very different networks, and they've all been insanely great-
> (e.g. I don't think about them, they just work...)
>
> All the current GigE switches do jumbo frames, so this is a non-issue...
>
> > The switches themselves will be in air
> > conditioned living areas so heat should not be a problem.  There is
> > 110
> > and 220 available but dual power capable is still preferred.
>
> Hrm... Wall-warts for the small ones seem to only do 110, but you
> could perhaps buy comparable 220 wall -warts that output the same, at
> a cheap price?  (Radio Shack or Mouser Electronics?)
>

> > I'll be honest, my main concern is price but I do still want something
> > reasonably reliable with a decent warranty if possible.  The desktop 8
> > port switches actually seem to have the best price per port and I am
> > leaning towards more smaller switches to save on cable run lengths.
> >
> > I just saw this [1] on Newegg, 24 port managed switch but open box for
> > $206.  Anyone ever do open box from Newegg, is this something worth
> > buying?
>
> Did a open-box once from Newegg on a wireless access point, it was no
> big deal... but I guess it depends on the stuff...
>
> > Browsing some more they seem to have quite a few open box high
> > port count switches, here is the search link I was using [2]
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Jonathan Stewart
> >
> > [1] http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817111491R
> > [2] http://tinyurl.com/3a68e8
>
> Good luck-
>
> Best,
> .ike

> We meet the first Wednesday of the month
> Be sure to join our Announce list at http://lists.nycbug.org

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817201105&Tpk=EF4116

I have deployed allot of these switches in small offices .
Most with voip , data , and a streaming music / video habit .
It has hard coded broadcast thresholds and Data Flow Control Filters .
Nice features for an unmanaged switch .
Also , with that price , it is a slam dunk .

Tim ..