[nycbug-talk] booting FreeBSD v6.2

jekillen jekillen at prodigy.net
Sun Sep 2 19:00:00 EDT 2007

On Sep 2, 2007, at 2:29 PM, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:

>> This is the console output:
>> FreeBSD/i386 boot
>> default: 0;ad(0,a)/boot/kernel/kernel
>
> J:
>
> Gotta love how this stuff still happens in 2007, huh>
>
> What we need to do is validate that the BIOS of your motherboard is
> mapping device at 0x80 to what FreeBSD later interprets to be "ad4".
>
> The 1st and 2nd stage boot loader isn't going to know anything about
> kernel device names.
>
> We know because the 1st stage loader is starting that the BIOS is
> picking the correct physical drive to read the MBR from.
>
> Break out of the boot loader and send us the output of:
>
> 	lsdev -v
> 	boot-conf
> 	show

Learning how as I go .... how do I break out of the boot loader, to
what shell? What runs this series of instructions?
Thats is deeper than I have gone to this point. Like, even though I
have found my way around the shell enough
to do tar -xvf (ect) and ./config and all those incantations, and even
find my way through errors here and there,
tinker with some shell scripting, python scripting, even some console c
programming; and lots and lots of php.
Nothing can be worse than javascript from scratch from text books. But
I got the hang of that too.
this is something I am unfamiliar with.

> Also, we can find out what changed in loader(8) on AMD64 pretty easily
> between 6.0 and 6.2 using CVS.

just some extra data if it makes a difference here, I am using generic
kernel, not AMD64 (and I presume
there is a difference).

Thanks for the response and info.
Jeff K