[nycbug-talk] New Server - IDE or SATA RAID?, 6.x or 7.x? (fwd)

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Tue Apr 1 16:01:28 EDT 2008

Matt Juszczak wrote:
> Looking to launch a new server here shortly.  I've had bad experience with SATA
> and FreeBSD in the past - primarily with some errors in dmesg that only seemed
> resolved when I swapped in a SATA raid controller (even though these were
> individual drives and not raid!).

 From which controller to which?  What types of errors?

> Of course, this setup would be RAID 1 - but I'm wondering what the best way to
> go would be - SATA or IDE.

Definitely 'no' on IDE. . . SATA without question.

I've used a lot more IDE RAID than I'd like to admit, since I end up
salvaging hardware on occasions.

> What are all of your experiences?

Depends on the manufacturer. . .

Have used 3ware, highpoint, lsi, pseudo mb raids. . .  end up using
what's around as much as what I want to buy.

Look at the management tools available in /usr/ports/sysutils for the
card. . .

But LSI is probably the best bet (mea culpa, nako :). . .
sysutils/amrstat is pretty nice.

> Also, as far as OS choice, are people moving to 7.x now for production boxes,
> or still sticking with the 6.x branch?

I really look forward to moving with 7.x in production. . . but for now
it's 6 stable.

There's too many commits regularly with 7.x for my tastes, but ask
Yarema tomorrow :)

George