[nycbug-talk] New Server - IDE or SATA RAID?, 6.x or 7.x? (fwd)

Okan Demirmen okan at demirmen.com
Tue Apr 1 16:14:29 EDT 2008

On Tue 2008.04.01 at 16:01 -0400, George Rosamond wrote:
> Matt Juszczak wrote:
> > Looking to launch a new server here shortly.  I've had bad experience with SATA
> > and FreeBSD in the past - primarily with some errors in dmesg that only seemed
> > resolved when I swapped in a SATA raid controller (even though these were
> > individual drives and not raid!).
>
>  From which controller to which?  What types of errors?
>

> > Of course, this setup would be RAID 1 - but I'm wondering what the best way to
> > go would be - SATA or IDE.
> >

> Definitely 'no' on IDE. . . SATA without question.
>
> I've used a lot more IDE RAID than I'd like to admit, since I end up
> salvaging hardware on occasions.
>
> > What are all of your experiences?
> >

> Depends on the manufacturer. . .
>
> Have used 3ware, highpoint, lsi, pseudo mb raids. . .  end up using
> what's around as much as what I want to buy.
>
> Look at the management tools available in /usr/ports/sysutils for the
> card. . .
>
> But LSI is probably the best bet (mea culpa, nako :). . .
> sysutils/amrstat is pretty nice.

i suppose by poking me, you're expecting a response?  :) well, i use a
different OS and therefore have a set of choices based on raid
management tools that are part of my OS of choice, and ports; i go on
that information first...but we are not talking about my OS of choice.

back to the OP...  why IDE?  why SATA?  use SCSI or SAS if you have real
needs.  "launching a server" describes no requirements for one to help
decide the technology recommended or deployed.  help us help you...