[nycbug-talk] MS, the Yahoo buyout, and FreeBSD

Jonathan Vanasco nycbug-list at 2xlp.com
Fri Feb 1 13:40:01 EST 2008

On Feb 1, 2008, at 12:41 PM, Patrick Tracanelli wrote:

> I was asking myself the same questions. As a Y! investor I am happy to
> see this offer, but as a FreeBSD professional I am not. And saying
> 'NO'
> to this offer, right after Y! announced such that big layoffs, is
> psichologically difficult to believe, from an investor perspective.
>
> There is also the good "marketing" that Yahoo! represents to FreeBSD,
> wether they are still very relevant to the project as donators or not.
> For example, Yahoo! + FIFA world cup partnership marketed FreeBSD
> as the
> main OS in the world cup internet infra-structure, etc, etc. What else
> and how negative would it be to the Project? I hope not much.

Yahoo are also big proponents of the LAMP stack, particularly PHP &
MySQL

Even with the resources behind the 1BN MySQL buyout, a lot of the
'enterprise' performance and engineering improvements & knowledge
have been coming from large-scale deployments like Yahoo's.
Converting to SQLserver could be a painful loss.  Converting to .NET
could be a nightmare too.

// Jonathan Vanasco

w. http://findmeon.com/user/jvanasco
e. jonathan at findmeon.com