[nycbug-talk] MS, the Yahoo buyout, and FreeBSD

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Fri Feb 1 20:41:48 EST 2008

Jonathan Vanasco wrote:
> On Feb 1, 2008, at 12:41 PM, Patrick Tracanelli wrote:
>
>> I was asking myself the same questions. As a Y! investor I am happy to
>> see this offer, but as a FreeBSD professional I am not. And saying
>> 'NO'
>> to this offer, right after Y! announced such that big layoffs, is
>> psichologically difficult to believe, from an investor perspective.
>>
>> There is also the good "marketing" that Yahoo! represents to FreeBSD,
>> wether they are still very relevant to the project as donators or not.
>> For example, Yahoo! + FIFA world cup partnership marketed FreeBSD
>> as the
>> main OS in the world cup internet infra-structure, etc, etc. What else
>> and how negative would it be to the Project? I hope not much.

Hmmm. . . Not particularly a soccer fan myself Patrick, but did they
mention FBSD in their marketing?

> Yahoo are also big proponents of the LAMP stack, particularly PHP &
> MySQL
>
> Even with the resources behind the 1BN MySQL buyout, a lot of the
> 'enterprise' performance and engineering improvements & knowledge
> have been coming from large-scale deployments like Yahoo's.
> Converting to SQLserver could be a painful loss.  Converting to .NET
> could be a nightmare too.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to remember back to the Hotmail Microsoft
purchase, and that controversial white paper. . .

http://www.securityoffice.net/mssecrets/hotmail.html

I think on the whole it's bad for technology, regardless of the players.

There are of course a laundry list of negatives for BSD land. . . all
those servers hosted by Yahoo. . . the fact that it's Yahoo responsible
for a huge proportion of BSD hosts out there in terms of numbers. . .

If this does happen, I'm really not looking forward to the dualopoly of
MS and Google in so many arenas.

My gut feeling is that with the delay in a full response from Yahoo,
it's a likely thing.

Who knows, maybe this will mean we'll have MS as a sponsor for the con
(dumb joke:)