[nycbug-talk] Parrot virtual machine project on BSD

James E Keenan jkeen at verizon.net
Fri Jan 4 18:58:35 EST 2008

Fellow NYCBUG folks:

New years greetings from the Parrot project (http://
www.parrotcode.org/).  Parrot, a virtual machine designed to
efficiently compile and execute bytecode for dynamic languages, has
been the major focus of my open source development efforts for the
last year, and I'd like to have other NYCBUG members take a look at
Parrot.

Parrot has had a strong spurt in its development in the last month
(http://use.perl.org/~pmichaud/journal/35272), but our development
efforts on BSD are not as strong as those on Linux and Win32.  We're
getting nightly smoke testing on FreeBSD and Dragonfly and
intermittent smoking on Darwin.  But we don't have any smoking on
NetBSD or OpenBSD.  Outside of BSD, we have some smoke testing on
Solaris, but none currently on AIX, Irix, HPUX or other Unices.   And
we could really use some people who are even moderately knowledgeable
about compilers on any of those OSes.

I'd be interested in speaking with any one who can make a non-Linux
*nix box available for regular smoke testing of Parrot.  And if
you're looking to contribute to a major open source project, I'd be
even *more* interested in speaking with you.  I plan to attend this
Wednesday's meeting and look forward to speaking with any and all.

Thank you very much.

Jim Keenan