[nycbug-talk] cluster storage

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Mon Mar 24 12:59:21 EDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 10:43:42AM -0400, Jesse Callaway wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Was anything mentioned of storage in last nights' meeting? I'm very
> interested in distributed storage, with the least amount of redundancy
> possible yet still be tolerant. Who isn't?

from my experience there is no real easy way to truely create a
clustered storage pool with BSD's standard filesystems currently.  I've
even played with RedHat's gfs, and it's not ready for high volume
production use yet IMHO.

having said that - isilon systems (www.isilon.com) makes a scalable
clustered storage solution based on FreeBSD.  they have implemented
thier own filesystem to do this.  Also NetApp's next gen product (GX)
makes heavy use of FreeBSD.  so those are good signs if you can pay to
play, are looking for an appliance type solution, or are a FreeBSD
developer :)

there are also things like VxFS (veritas' clustered filesystem) and
oracle's offering (OCFS).  I read an article about using OCFS in an
non-oracle environment once that looked interesting, but it does suffer
from being GPL'd...

-p

--
~~oO00Oo~~