[nycbug-talk] OT: Laptop is dead - what am I going to do?

Max Gribov max at neuropunks.org
Thu Oct 30 10:28:59 EDT 2008

I just got a lenovo thinkpad sl400, so figured ill share my mini review
of the machine.

These things are pretty far from the original thinkpad in design. Lenovo
made some silly choices in my opnion:
- back of the screen is glossy plastic - sucks, cause ill scratch it and
it constantly looks dirty
- the dot in I in thinkpad lights up red - omgwtf
- page up and page down keys are by the arrow keys - another wtf
- the lid doesnt have the snappy lock things - so screen feels a little
fragile

pros:
- its light
- its cheap (around $700) for 1.8ghz core duo intel (2M cache per core)
with 2G ram and 230Gb drive
- 4 usb ports, 1 hdmi port (!) and one SD card reader
- supports 802.11n and has gig ethernet

the battery life is eh -  about 2 hours with default battery, so if you
get more cells, should get better

so, i think its cheap with good specs cause of almost crappy case
engineering..
its great if you gonna keep it in the office most of the time, it feels
like it may be too accident prone and fragile..

im using ubuntu on it, so all hardware (havent tried hdmi) works fine..
dunno about bsd