[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD 32-bit to 64-bit?

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Wed Dec 23 15:10:05 EST 2009

Howdy,

Anyone got some pointers on how to "convert" an existing 8.0 32 bit
install to a 64 bit install?

Caveat: The machine in question has no floppy, no optical drive, and usb
keys and such are a bit wonky on it, so I have to do this without
resorting to booting new install media.  I do have a serial console.

I did manage to build and boot a 64 bit kernel using this incantation:

make -j4 TARGET_ARCH=amd64 buildworld buildkernel KERNCONF=BWAY8-64

Installing was rough, the build system wants that installed anywhere but
"/boot", so I had to set DESTDIR to a directory in /tmp and move the
kernel into place manually.  Using nextboot to boot that kernel works, but
the build system seems to kind of fall apart when trying to install world.

Even simple pointers like "this is how the build system figures out what
architecture it's on and these are the variables it sets" would be very
helpful.

Thanks,

Charles

___