[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD 32-bit to 64-bit?

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Wed Dec 23 16:15:28 EST 2009

On Wednesday 23 December 2009 3:10:05 pm Charles Sprickman wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Anyone got some pointers on how to "convert" an existing 8.0 32 bit
> install to a 64 bit install?
>
> Caveat: The machine in question has no floppy, no optical drive, and usb
> keys and such are a bit wonky on it, so I have to do this without
> resorting to booting new install media.  I do have a serial console.
>
> I did manage to build and boot a 64 bit kernel using this incantation:
>
> make -j4 TARGET_ARCH=amd64 buildworld buildkernel KERNCONF=BWAY8-64
>
> Installing was rough, the build system wants that installed anywhere but
> "/boot", so I had to set DESTDIR to a directory in /tmp and move the
> kernel into place manually.  Using nextboot to boot that kernel works, but
> the build system seems to kind of fall apart when trying to install world.
>
> Even simple pointers like "this is how the build system figures out what
> architecture it's on and these are the variables it sets" would be very
> helpful.

One tactic I know some people have used to do this is to newfs a swap
partition, do an installworld into that and boot into single-user with that
mounted as your / (by editing /etc/fstab or setting vfs.mountroot_from in the
loader), mount the rest of your partitions under /mnt or some such,
installworld into /mnt, restore /etc/fstab if necessary, then reboot back to
your normal layout.

--
John Baldwin