[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD 32-bit to 64-bit?

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Wed Dec 30 01:05:23 EST 2009

Top-posting and answering myself for the archives...

Easiest way to do this was to build a kernel as described below, grab all
the install filesets for amd64, boot the 64-bit kernel single user and
then extract the install bits over the existing system and smack
permissions into place with the mtree files included with the install
filesets.

The only gotcha is to watch during the extraction for anything that could
not be overwritten due to the immutable bit being set on the files.

Oh, and the base install will give you a new /etc (figured that out when I
couldn't login anymore). :)