[nycbug-talk] UNIX quiz
george at ceetonetechnology.com
Tue Jan 20 12:52:15 EST 2009
Isaac Levy wrote:
> On Jan 20, 2009, at 8:51 AM, George Rosamond wrote:
>> Caught this on Shining Silence. . . the DFly BSD blog: UNIX quiz from
>> And some of the answers:
>> Cool stuff.
>> I'll ping a source for the ;login: issue with the answers.
> YEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!! Excellent post...
> I'm already crafting the UNIX Trivial Pursuit Cards to stuff in the deck...
Errr. . . FYI. . . just got the PDF of the issue of ;login: with answers
Various character translation problems i due to troff . . copied and
pasted from a PDF.
Below are the answers to last the trivia quiz that appeared in
the last issue of ;login: . The syntax for the
left to right precedence
a|b is a or b
a&b is a and b (any order)
a!b is a and not b
1. The source code motel: your source code checks in, but it never
checks out. What is it?
2. Who wrote the rst UNIX screen editor?
Volume 9, Number 4 September 1984
3. Using TSO is like kicking a [what?] down the beach?
4. What is the lename created by the original dsw (1)?
5. Which edition of UNIX rst had pipes?
6. What is -=O=-?
7. Which Stephen R. Bourne wrote the shell?
8. Adam Buchsbaum’s original login was sjb. Who is sjb?
9. What was the original processor in the Teletype DMD-5620?
10. What was the telephone extension of the author of mpx (2)?
11. Which machine resulted in the naming of the “NUXI problem”?
series 1|series one
12. What customs threat is dangerous only when dropped from an airplane?
13. Who wrote the Bourne shell?
14. What operator in the Mashey shell was replaced by “here documents”?
15. What names appear on the title page of the 3.0 manual?
16. Sort the following into chronological order: a) PWB 1.2, b) V7, c)
Whirlwind, e) System V, f) 4.2BSD, g)
cagbef|c a g b e f
17. The CRAY-2 will be so fast it [what?] in 6 seconds?
18. How many lights are on the front panel of the original 11/70?
19. What does FUBAR mean?
failed unibus address register
20. What does “joff” stand for?
jerq obscure feature nder
21. What is “Blit” an acronym of?
22. Who was rabbit!bimmler?
23. Into how many pieces did Ken Thompson’s deer disintegrate?
24. What name is most common at USENIX conferences?
8 September 1984
Volume 9, Number 4
25. What is the US patent number for the setuid bit?
26. What is the patent number that appears in UNIX documentation?
27. Who satisied the patent ofce of the viability of the setuid bit
28. How many UNIX systems existed when the Second Edition manual was
29. Which Bell Labs location is HL?
30. Who mailed out the Sixth Edition tapes?
31. Which university stole UNIX by phone?
32. Who received the rst rubber chicken award?
33. Name a feature of C not in Kernighan and Ritchie.
34. What company did cbosg!ccf work for?
35. What does Bnews do?
36. Who said “SEX, DRUGS and UNIX”?
37. What law rm distributed Empire?
38. What computer was requested by Ken Thompson, but refused by management?
39. Who is the most obsessed private pilot in USENIX?
40. What operating system runs on the 3B-20D?
41. Who wrote find (1)?
42. In what year did Bell Labs organization charts become proprietary?
43. What is the UNIX epoch in Cleveland?
44. What language preceded C?
45. What language preceded B?
46. What letter is mispunched by bcd (6)?
Volume 9, Number 4 September 1984
47. What terminal does the Blit emulate?
48. What does “trb” stand for (it’s Andy Tannenbaum’s login)?
49. allegra!honey is no what?
50. What is the one-line description in vs.c?
screw works interface
51. What is the TU10 tape boot for the PDP-11/70 starting at location
100000 (in octal)?
012700 172526 010040 012740 060003 105710 012376 005007
52. What company owns the trademark on Writer’s Workbenchtm Software?
53. Who designed Belle?
54. Who coined the name “UNIX”?
55. What manual page mentioned Urdu?
56. What politician is mentioned in the UNIX documentation?
57. What program was compat (1) written to support?
58. Who is “mctesq”?
59. What was “ubl”?
rogue|under bell labs
60. Who bought the rst commercial UNIX license?
61. Who bought the rst UNIX license?
62. Who signed the Sixth Edition licenses?
63. What color is the front console on the PDP-11/45 (exactly)?
64. How many different meanings does UNIX assign to ‘.’?
65. Who said, “Smooth rotation butters no parsnips”?
66. What was the original name for cd (1)?
67. Which was the rst edition of the manual to be typeset?
68. Which was the rst edition of UNIX to have standard error/diagnostic
10 September 1984
Volume 9, Number 4
69. Who ran the rst UNIX Support Group?
70. Whose Ph.D. thesis concerned UNIX paging?
71. Who (other than the obvious) designed the original UNIX le system?
72. Who wrote the PWB shell?
73. Who invented uucp ?
74. Who thought of PWB?
75. What does grep stand for?
global regular expression print|g/re/p|g/regular expression/p
76. What hardware device does “dsw” refer to?
77. What was the old name of the “sys” directory?
78. What was the old name of the “dev” directory?
79. Who has written many random number generators, but never one that
80. Where was the rst UNIX system outside 127?
81. What was the rst UNIX network?
82. What was the original syntax for “ls -l|pr -h”?
ls -l>"pr -h">|<"ls -l"<pr -h
83. Why is there a comment in the shell source “/* Must not be a
register variable */”?
84. What is it you’re not expected to understand?
More information about the talk