[nycbug-talk] [OT] - Subversion Conflicts

Brian Cully bcully at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 14:34:31 EDT 2009

On 29-Jun-2009, at 14:08, Matt Juszczak wrote:

> - Set the setuid bit recursively (and somehow tell freebsd to support
> this, I think there's a way) so that new files are created with the
> www
> user.

	I don't think there's a way to do this short of setuid  on the
directory, and the problem there is that new directories won't be
created setuid regardless of umask (I think).

> - Somehow make it so that new files created by regular users are
> created
> as 775.  This is a umask thing obviously, but can a umask be set
> recursively on a single directory only, or is this an environment
> thing
> only?

	It's been a while since I had to deal with SVN administration, but as
I recall there's an svn umask property. Failing that svn+ssh will
allow you to set your own umask on a per-client basis. None of these
apply per-directory.

> - Write a wrapper that runs setuid to inherit the permissions of www,
> which would hopefully then create the .tmp files and such as user www.

	You could also run svnserve as the www user.

> Any ideas? :) Thanks all.  Again, this is a temporary solution.  If
> everyone could have their own repository this wouldn't be an issue,
> and
> that's coming soon.

	One last option would be a post-update hook (or whatever SVN calls
it) that chmods appropriately. This would probably be of the easier
and more fail-safe solutions.

-bjc