[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD 7.2 and 64/32 bit issues

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Tue Nov 3 22:27:51 EST 2009

Mark (and Chris),

On Tue, 3 Nov 2009, Mark Saad wrote:

> Charles
>  Ls and the megaraid tool work b/c they are staticly linked ie they have
> a 32bit version of libc.so.4 compiled in to them..

Thanks for solving that mystery.  An odd thing about the megaraid tool is
that the version from ports has a check for 32 bit libraries, which seems
odd since my direct download from LSI works fine.

> There is also two ways to get lib32 installed. 1. It is an optional
> install set from sysinstall . 2. If you have a cvs checkout of freebsd
> you can run build just the 32bit libs , I can't remember exactly but
> check the makefile for a build32 command or a buildworld32 something
> like that.

Interesting.  I see a "build32" target in /usr/src/Makefile.  After more
googling, I found this:

http://old.nabble.com/**-FreeBSD-6.2---amd64---attempting-to-install-32bit-library-support-**-td15704398.html

It's a bit old, but apparently the correct way to do this is to set
"WITH_LIB32=yes" in /etc/make.conf.  Thankfully this is not a desktop, I
don't even want to imagine the confusion that ensues when trying to run
something like a 64 bit Firefox with a 32-bit linux version of flash or
some other insane nonsense.

I'm a bit surprised this isn't a handbook entry yet.

In the past I've setup a 4.11 jail on a 6.3 host.  For giggles, and to try
to beat some dying hardware to the punch, I'm going to try a 4.8 jail on
this thing and see what happens.  The 4.11 "solution" worked incredibly
well.  I wish I'd documented more of that procedure...

Charles