[nycbug-talk] Apple Users - What is the compelling reason to upgrade to OSX 10.7

David Lawson dave at donnerjack.com
Mon Jul 25 15:13:03 EDT 2011

On Jul 25, 2011, at 2:54 PM, Mark Saad wrote:

> Apple Users of Talk
>  I was wondering what if any are the compelling reasons to upgrade to
> OS X 10.7 . On a side note it appears that in 10.7 there is an absence
> of new UNIX features.
> In 10.6 there was a lot of talk about Grand Central Dispatch , and all
> of the prior versions, to the best of my memory had some new UNIX
> feature.

There's a LVM-ish implementation for volume management, among other things.  I'd highly recommend at least skimming John Siracusa's review on Ars Technica.  He's got a lot of the under the hood information in there.  The whole thing is…extensive, but you can cherry pick the parts you're interested in.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7.ars/1

--Dave