[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD & Google Analytics

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Mon Dec 10 18:42:32 EST 2012

On 12/10/12 14:38, Brett wrote:
>>> IMHO, it is not FUD, it is legitimate concern.  But, from what I see so
>>> far, it is concern from those who are already security- and
>>> privacy-aware.
>>>
>>> We (FreeBSD) are respecting DNT, not relying on Google.  Additionally,
>>> disabling Javascript will also disallow tracking.
>>>
> A good reminder to disable javascript for daily internet use and only enable for sites that need it. Even though FreeBSD is respecting DNT, it doesn't take much of an imagination to see many other sites will not respect this flag.
>
> Since there are probably many website administrators on this mailing list, my suggestion to any of them who want to improve privacy/security on the internet: build websites that are fully functional without javascript.

or, as a publisher, publicly support DNT and force adnetworks to respect
DNT.  publishers are really the minor offenders in this arena - it's the
adnetworks and 3rd party companies like blukai that have created an
industry around using javascript for tracking.

security wise i'm going to drop some money to the FreeBSD foundation
today and hopefully Pawel will be able to continue to work on Capsicum:

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/security/capsicum/

see also this awesome interview with Robert Watson by GNN that touches
on Capsicum among other really interesting things:

http://queue.acm.org/detail_video.cfm?id=2382552

-p

--
Pete Wright