[nycbug-talk] GoDaddy

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Mon Sep 10 18:51:26 EDT 2012

On 09/10/12 14:44, Justin Dearing wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 4:52 PM, George Rosamond<
> george at ceetonetechnology.com>  wrote:
>
>> <quote>
>> This is what happens when you push everything out into the cloud.
>> Somedays it rains and there ain't shit you can do about it.
>> </quote>
>>
>> I'd hardly call godaddy a "cloud provider." There just a registrar with a
> really large dns and  web host. Sure same problem as when AWS/Azure or
> Rackspace goes down though.
lol - i'd reference the godaddy cloud page, but..yea :)

they do offer "cloud" storage and computing resources.  i reckon it is
just an extension of their already existing hosting services they
historically provided.

tbh though...i really have no idea what cloud means, i mentally have
been substituting "cloud" with "smurf" for a while now w/o any ill
effects :)

> But this brings up two good points. 1) how do you not have a single point
> of failure with DNS.
anycast DNS, while not perfect, does a lot to mitigate SPOF w/in DNS
architectures.  it also should in theory help isolate DDoS attacks as
well.  I am suspecting that GoDaddy may not just be getting hit with a
DDoS due to the wide ranging nature of the outage.  perhaps the DDoS is
just one component of this failure?

> 2) If you do decide to host on the cloud, for any site
> actually making money, why would you not have coldfire backups on multiple
> clouds for redundancy. Its cheaper then coldfire hardware.

yea i totally agree - although amazon makes it really pricey to do this
right?  they actually built a pretty effective finger trap.

you'll get dinged on the storage costs of your local backup cache (which
you need due to the dreadful performance of ec2), iops on your ebs
volume and network transit for this backups (not to mention the capex
costs of keeping your backup site up).  unfortunately, i've been on the
loosing side of this discussion more times than i want to think about
when working with finance departments and the like...

-pete

--
Pete Wright
pete at nomadlogic.org