[nycbug-talk] pfsense and tor

Brian Callahan bcallah at devio.us
Mon Jun 10 19:59:19 EDT 2013

On 6/10/2013 1:28 PM, Pete Wright wrote:
> has anyone had the chance to run tor on a pfsense system?  i'm not
> seeing it in the pfsense packages directory located here:
>
> http://www.pfsense.com/packages/config/
>
> while i have spare bandwidth @home for tor, not sure my router has the
> horsepower.  figured i'd test it out there first anyway then if that
> fails get tor up and running on another always-on appliance (like my
> mac-mini which drives my tv).
>
> -p

Can pfsense install vanilla FreeBSD packages? There should be a FreeBSD
package available. (or install from ports, though I realize that's
probably not what people want to do with their pfsense machines)

The latest stable is 0.2.3.25 and the latest unstable is 0.2.4.12-alpha.
However, from experience running the OpenBSD tor relay, go for the
unstable. It's quite an improvement over the stable branch.

~Brian