[nycbug-talk] pfsense and tor

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Mon Jun 10 21:48:27 EDT 2013

Brian Callahan:
> On 6/10/2013 1:28 PM, Pete Wright wrote:
>> has anyone had the chance to run tor on a pfsense system?  i'm not
>> seeing it in the pfsense packages directory located here:
>>
>> http://www.pfsense.com/packages/config/
>>
>> while i have spare bandwidth @home for tor, not sure my router has the
>> horsepower.  figured i'd test it out there first anyway then if that
>> fails get tor up and running on another always-on appliance (like my
>> mac-mini which drives my tv).
>>
>> -p
>>

> Can pfsense install vanilla FreeBSD packages? There should be a FreeBSD
> package available. (or install from ports, though I realize that's
> probably not what people want to do with their pfsense machines)

It can be installed that way.

But creating a pfSense Tor package has been on my list for a while now.
 They moved to PBIs from the old system, and haven't looked at it yet.

So if >100,000 pfSense installs as of November 2011, and 1% go Tor, you
have a huge impact on the Tor network.  Just like some ppl use pfSense
for a dhcpd appliance, the same could happen with Tor, I'd hope.  And
the Tor relays are a heavy Linux monoculture at this point, which would
be nice to diversify.

I will get to it... really.

> The latest stable is 0.2.3.25 and the latest unstable is 0.2.4.12-alpha.
> However, from experience running the OpenBSD tor relay, go for the
> unstable. It's quite an improvement over the stable branch.

There are also some sysctls to set that should be noted... we have a
Tor-BSD list on our mailman if everyone doesnt know already...

We run two non-exit relays in the cabinet: NYCBUG0 (fbsd) and NYCBUG1
(obsd), the latter of which Brian is tweaking.

PS Gee, I wonder why ppl would be discussing this... ;)