[talk] Korn Shell Anecdote

Brian Reynolds nycbug-talk at reynolds.users.panix.com
Thu Feb 4 20:54:23 EST 2016

Last night's Shell Fu meeting was a lot of fun.

It wasn't until I was out of the bar that I remembered an amusing Korn
shell story from years ago.  It involves a Microsoft presenter running
into reality at a Usenix LISA NT conference in Seattle.  I originally
thought I saw it on rec.humor.funny, but it turns out that the best
version of it that I could find is in the freebsd-chat archives at:

<https://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=156953+0+archive/1998/freebsd-chat/19980823.freebsd-chat>

Apparently this has been confirmed be people who were there, and a
much shortened version even appears in the David Korn page at
wikipedia.  So it must be true.

--
Brian Reynolds                   | "It's just like flying a spaceship.
reynolds at panix.com               |  You push some buttons and see