[talk] Updated FreeBSD Graphics For Intel GPU's

Jim B. jpb at jimby.name
Tue Aug 29 16:00:32 EDT 2017

* Pete Wright <pete at nomadlogic.org> [2017-08-29 13:11]:
> hey everyone - so i've been helping test the work that the FreeBSD folks
> have been doing to get support for modern Intel GPU's based on the i915
> chipset (which is a majority of the laptops shipped these days).?? The
> initial work was to improve the linux KBI interface in FreeBSD which
> allowed the developers to easily import the linux i915 code into
> FreeBSD.?? The decision was also made to create a port of this work -
> much in the same way that the Nvidia Xorg drivers are handled.
>
> I've been dog-fooding this code for quite a while now and while there
> are some rough edges it looks like this work has been accepted by the
> ports team:
>
> https://reviews.freebsd.org/rP448928
>
> I think this is a major milestone, and hopefully will make it easier for
> FreeBSD devs and users to finally ditch macbooks and start using FreeBSD
> as their daily driver!

Good to hear.  Have you been able to test with hashcat?

Earlier drivers did not work.I've had to go the SuperMicro motherboard
route with Nvidia GPUs a la
http://www.netmux.com/blog/how-to-build-a-password-cracking-rig

Would be interresting to see if hashcat can work with my lappie's Intel
chip.

Jim B.