[talk] Updated FreeBSD Graphics For Intel GPU's

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Tue Aug 29 16:02:20 EDT 2017

On 08/29/2017 10:28, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 10:11:10AM -0700, Pete Wright wrote:
>> hey everyone - so i've been helping test the work that the FreeBSD folks
>> have been doing to get support for modern Intel GPU's based on the i915
>> chipset (which is a majority of the laptops shipped these days).  The
>> initial work was to improve the linux KBI interface in FreeBSD which allowed
>> the developers to easily import the linux i915 code into FreeBSD.  The
>> decision was also made to create a port of this work - much in the same way
>> that the Nvidia Xorg drivers are handled.
>>
>> I've been dog-fooding this code for quite a while now and while there are
>> some rough edges it looks like this work has been accepted by the ports
>> team:
>>
>> https://reviews.freebsd.org/rP448928
> So, in theory, I should be able to install 11.1, install drm-next-kmod port
> and intel driver, and it should work?
>
> Are there instructions anywhere?  The previous instructions for testing
> drm-next were outdated, last time I looked.  I have my own
> http://srobb.net/freebsdintel.html page, which goes through the steps of
> installing CURRENT then using the (at that time) drm-next kernel.

Hi Scott,
I am not %100 clear on the status of 11.1-RELEASE support to be honest.
It looks like in the Makefile that CURRENT is needed (which I'm guessing
is due to lkpi changes which aren't present in 11.x yet):

<snip>
.if ${OPSYS} == FreeBSD && ${OSVERSION} < 1200039
IGNORE=                not supported on 11.x or older, no kernel support
.endif
</snip>

My understanding is that on CURRENT you should be able to build/install
the pkg and things should start working.  I haven't had a chance to test
the port itself yet unfortunately due to some time constraints on my
end, altho i plan on rebuilding my skylake system later this afternoon.
I'll report on how that goes and will let you all know.

Cheers,
-pete

--
Pete Wright