[talk] Fwd: 2017-03-25-netbsd-hpcmips.img

Sevan Janiyan venture37 at geeklan.co.uk
Fri Mar 31 11:00:53 EDT 2017

Hello,

On 31/03/2017 14:03, George Rosamond wrote:
>> tpctl means "touch panel control", special setting for hpcmips/arm/sh.
>> I'll make comment out next hpcmips image.
>
> There's touch panel control support on the WorkPad?  That confused me...

No, there are other devices supported in the hpcmips port which do however
http://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/hpcmips/supported_machines/

>>> I would love to upload a dmesg to dmesgd.nycbug.org for it... but since
>>> the wi(4) driver for my wireless PCMCIA cards isn't included in this
>>> image, and there's no ethernet, no USB..  I have to get a NetBSD box up
>>> to mount the CF card to post it.
>>
>> What kind of card you have? give me some infomation to re-compile kernel.
>>

> :)
>
> I have three cards donated by other NYC*BUG people.
>
> * rtw (on OpenBSD) Realtek 8180 RTL8180F which is a Linksys 802.11b card
>
> * another Realtek 8185 which uses re(4) I think.  It's from Encore
> Electronics
>
> * then the closest to wokring is the wi(4) from Microsoft MN-520 which I
> think requires firmware.  ISL3873 PRISM2.5
>
> Huge thanks if you could add any of those drivers in... it saves me from
> having to cross-compile on some other ancient hardware.

The only cards which will work on a device of this vintage is PCMCIA
cards (ISA in Card form factor), more recent Cardbus cards (PCI in Card
form factor) wont.

You can distinguish the two types by the presence of the gold strip
above the connector. That means the card is of a cardbus type & wont
work. eg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/df/XJACK_network_card_extended.jpg
< wont work.

rtw & re are pci devices. :(

How about a nice ne(4) device instead? (any 10Mbps PCMCIA card, some
100Mbps PCMCIA cards).
All supported wifi cards should be compiled in, I think.

What do you need to do to get the Microsoft card working usually?

>>> Sorry for combining a how-to with a mention of the tpctl-induced headache...
>>
>> yup!thanx for your report.
>
> Thank you for making this easy without having to cross-compile.
>
> Not quite sure how I'm going to use this.. but I'm positive I wont build
> perl from source like Sevan :)

Dedicated awk workstation? :D
or
Implement:
https://www.netbsd.org/gallery/presentations/riastradh/asiabsdcon2015/pkgsrc-cross-paper.pdf

> Any ideas on using resize_ffs(8) besides doing from another NetBSD box?

Can you use the following rc script? (normally
http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/distrib/utils/embedded/files/resize_disklabel?rev=1.1&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&only_with_tag=MAIN

Sevan