[talk] Fwd: 2017-03-25-netbsd-hpcmips.img

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Fri Mar 31 15:57:00 EDT 2017

Sevan Janiyan:
> Hello,
>
> On 31/03/2017 14:03, George Rosamond wrote:
>>> tpctl means "touch panel control", special setting for
>>> hpcmips/arm/sh. I'll make comment out next hpcmips image.
>>
>> There's touch panel control support on the WorkPad?  That confused
>> me...
>
> No, there are other devices supported in the hpcmips port which do
> however http://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/hpcmips/supported_machines/

Ah, got it.

>>> What kind of card you have? give me some infomation to
>>> re-compile kernel.
>>>

>> :)
>>
>> I have three cards donated by other NYC*BUG people.
>>
>> * rtw (on OpenBSD) Realtek 8180 RTL8180F which is a Linksys
>> 802.11b card
>>
>> * another Realtek 8185 which uses re(4) I think.  It's from Encore
>>  Electronics
>>
>> * then the closest to wokring is the wi(4) from Microsoft MN-520
>> which I think requires firmware.  ISL3873 PRISM2.5
>>
>> Huge thanks if you could add any of those drivers in... it saves
>> me from having to cross-compile on some other ancient hardware.
>
> The only cards which will work on a device of this vintage is PCMCIA
>  cards (ISA in Card form factor), more recent Cardbus cards (PCI in
> Card form factor) wont.
>
> You can distinguish the two types by the presence of the gold strip
> above the connector. That means the card is of a cardbus type & wont
>  work. eg
> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/df/XJACK_network_card_extended.jpg

Yup.

Got it.

< wont work.

> rtw & re are pci devices. :(
>
> How about a nice ne(4) device instead? (any 10Mbps PCMCIA card, some
>  100Mbps PCMCIA cards). All supported wifi cards should be compiled
> in, I think.
>
> What do you need to do to get the Microsoft card working usually?

I have those three cards... just need the wi(4) driver for the Microsoft
MN-520 card, which is the only ISA format one I have.

>>> yup!thanx for your report.
>>
>> Thank you for making this easy without having to cross-compile.
>>
>> Not quite sure how I'm going to use this.. but I'm positive I wont
>> build perl from source like Sevan :)
>
> Dedicated awk workstation? :D or Implement:
> https://www.netbsd.org/gallery/presentations/riastradh/asiabsdcon2015/pkgsrc-cross-paper.pdf

ha!  "And this is my computer just for sed and awk" is a tough line to
justify a square foot in NYC's real estate climate!

>> Any ideas on using resize_ffs(8) besides doing from another NetBSD
>> box?
>
> Can you use the following rc script? (normally
> http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/distrib/utils/embedded/files/resize_disklabel?rev=1.1&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&only_with_tag=MAIN

Cool.

I'll check that out later.

Huge thanks Sevan and Jun.