[talk] Fwd: 2017-03-25-netbsd-hpcmips.img

Robert Menes viewtiful.icchan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 11:22:18 EDT 2017

I've grabbed the new image and will be dd'ing it to a card later today.

I've wanted to make 2 partitions on a CF card (one FAT16 for WinCE and one
I will dd
the new hpcmips image to), but am not certain if this will work. Will test
with latest
 kernel and hpcboot.

I have an Orinoco Wireless Gold PCMCIA card I also want to try to see if I
can get
working in NetBSD.

--Robert

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 9:29 PM, George Rosamond <
george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:

> Sevan Janiyan:
> > WorkPad owners, heads up :o)
> >

> Anyone else out there with a WorkPad besides myself and Robert?
>
> They seem to run around $100 on Ebay... although I was fortunate to
> pickup three for that amount a while back.  Sorry.. .all the extras are
> gone!
>
> These subnotebook/whatever devices provide an idea of where things could
> have gone in 1999... but didn't. To have hours and hours of battery time
> in that year is incredible. I think my Toshiba Tecra from that year did
> 60 minutes, without any networking. And this is a MIPS chip, running
> clunky WindowsCE burned in as firmware. It has a similar
> weight/size/feel as a Thinkpad x120e, although the display is only 8"
> (diagonal).
>
> Some quick notes to deal with the obvious for those who do have one and
> will test the image.
>
> These boot automatically into WindowsCE and you have to 'next' 'next'
> 'next' through some basic stuff.
>
> With the CF card (with the posted image below) inserted, click your way
> to "My Handheld PC" then to "Storage Card" and select "hpcboot" with the
> cutesy little red car icon.
>
> It's a Windows binary that boots the system into NetBSD.  Think uboot
> for Windows-only hardware.
>
> The only options to change with the NetBSD boot program are:
>
> the Windows path to the CF card (likely \Storage Card\)
>
> the next field should be netbsd-GENERIC.gz
>
> Then in the next line, the hardware, which in (our) this case is a
> WorkPad z50 2601 1AU.
>
> then boom, click "boot"
>
> The NetBSD image will then boot.. and things will start looking more
> familiar.
>
> One particular thing with this image (as opposed to past ones).
>
> Once the boot process (seems) is done, there's a blank screen with a
> cross cursor in the middle of the screen.  It looks like X is in the
> middle of booting, and it just sits for a bit. It ends up tpctl is
> hanging and ultimately fails to start, which delays a login prompt for
> 5-10 minutes.  Removing it from /etc/rc.conf clears up the long boot delay.
>
> Rereading below:
>

> >>   and comes as you are as you want to be.
> >> - tpctl: touch panel calibration:
> >>   click + 5 times + return
>
> I realized I missed that... but then it's unclear what to "click" "five
> times" to calibrate.. right or left mouse?  I tried a bunch of things,
> but still have to wait those 5-10 minutes.
>
> I tried to use resize_ffs to use up the whole 4G CF card I'm using for
> the 2G image, but will have to figure out the NetBSD version of
> OpenBSD's bsd.rd... or mount it from a NetBSD box to do it.
>
> I would love to upload a dmesg to dmesgd.nycbug.org for it... but since
> the wi(4) driver for my wireless PCMCIA cards isn't included in this
> image, and there's no ethernet, no USB..  I have to get a NetBSD box up
> to mount the CF card to post it.
>
> Other utterly stupid things to note:

> [...]

Nobody's ever lost in life...they're merely taking the scenic route.