[talk] So Netgate bails on FreeBSD

George Neville-Neil gnn at neville-neil.com
Wed May 23 18:23:50 EDT 2018

On 23 May 2018, at 16:23, Mark Saad wrote:

>> On May 23, 2018, at 4:09 PM, Pete Wright <pete at nomadlogic.org> wrote:
>>

>>> On 05/23/2018 13:04, Mark Saad wrote:
>>> Charles
>>>  I like opnsense, I moved my office off pfsense to opnsense about 24
>>> months ago and it’s been good .
>>>
>>> They do not have a complete rest api yet but it’s been easier t
>>> deal with opnsense for various uses.
>>>
>>> Also as someone who uses both FreeBSD and pfsense in a large
>>> corporation,  the irrational belief that Linux is better at
>>> something ; just because it’s Linux , is rampant .
>>>
>>>  As to Jim’s site where they say tnsr will do 10g and beyond. I am
>>> already doing it and it didn’t require a strange setup to get
>>> there . But hey bullshit sells .
>>
>> man this is rough - i know jim can be crusty at times, but i've been
>> happy with pfsense for ages despite some design choices i wouldn't
>> have made.
>>
>> i'm confused as to if/why centos-7 is only supported platform. centos
>> is not something i'd ever want to run as a router or firewall - even
>> if i had to run linux a rhel variant would be beyond my last choice.
>>

> So tnsr is using a fairly exotic kernel bypass setup called vpp or
> vector packet processing . It builds on top of intel’s dpdk or data
> plane development kit. While not binary per say they were developed
> targeting Linux and using “ohh look at this new shiny kernel feature
> of .. in Linux “ .

Exotic?  No.  It's logical as is DPDK.  They target Linux because Linux
is the gorilla and because Intel wanted to bypass dealing directly with
the Linux clowns and their clown kernel and clown community.

I've poked at this off and on for a bit but I've not had time to make
much progress on this.  Jim's call for hands is a serious one, it would
be nice to have a few folks poke at this and make it actually portable.

Is it the be all and end all?  No, for reasons I've mentioned in many
talks, but, it is a good solution for things like a cheap switch or a
simple router.

Best,
George