[talk] SGI Octane computer - free stuff

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Sat Jun 8 14:10:13 EDT 2019

> On Jun 8, 2019, at 12:48 PM, George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:
>

> Christos Zoulas:
>>> NetBSD is exactly what I was thinking of! Did you catch the stream of the BSDCan modern NetBSD on Vax ? It was good.
>>>

>> I did not see it, I will. I would have offered to take the Octane (I was very tempted), but I can't afford another "project" right now :-)
>
> Even if someone focused on running bulk package builds for one BSD or another, that would make it worthwhile.
>
> As usual, huge thanks to Patrick on facilitating things. I don't think people have any idea how much time and skills he does for everyone with misc stuff like this, or his video work.
>
> I wonder what the shape of NYC hardware porting could be with cheaper rents and larger apartments…

I have a garage and 1Gb/s fios and can follow instructions.

On that SGI stuff, as much as I love it finding new life as a headless build box or something, there’s a part of me that would love to see a pristine Irix install on there along with tens of thousands of dollars of commercial software of the day running on it too. :)  It’s wild that in the early days of computers in VFX there were multiple *nix options…

Charles