[talk] Benchmarking a new network / ISP connection in a new office

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Fri Mar 8 13:09:26 EST 2019

On 3/8/19 4:22 AM, Patrick McEvoy wrote:
> Is there a handy network/ ISP benchmarking program out there you could
> suggest? I am just about to light a office with IP phones and
> workstations for a bunch of devs who naturally want the best of service
> while we can squeeze out of 400/50 cable connection in the basement
> office of a lower east side apartment building. I would like to setup a
> box and have it monitor the speed so we actually have an idea of what
> the performance will be like before the real equipment and people show
> up. Any ideas / suggestions welcome.
> Be well,

So to clarify - do you want to monitor your current network bandwidth
usage, or test out what a 400/50 uplink would look like? I've had good
success using dummynet/ipfw for the later (for example testing apps that
are being accessed via lossy or bandwidth constricted links).

bandwidth monitoring wise - i installed darkstat(1) on my pfsense office
router.  this allows me to monitor and gauge our bandwidth utilization,
and while it's not super high-rez it does a good job for my uses.

cheers,
-pete

(1)https://unix4lyfe.org/darkstat/

--