[talk] Benchmarking a new network / ISP connection in a new office

Pat McEvoy mcevoy.pat at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 14:16:15 EST 2019

> On Mar 8, 2019, at 1:09 PM, Pete Wright <pete at nomadlogic.org> wrote:
>

>> On 3/8/19 4:22 AM, Patrick McEvoy wrote:
>> Is there a handy network/ ISP benchmarking program out there you could
>> suggest? I am just about to light a office with IP phones and
>> workstations for a bunch of devs who naturally want the best of service
>> while we can squeeze out of 400/50 cable connection in the basement
>> office of a lower east side apartment building. I would like to setup a
>> box and have it monitor the speed so we actually have an idea of what
>> the performance will be like before the real equipment and people show
>> up. Any ideas / suggestions welcome.
>> Be well,
>
> So to clarify - do you want to monitor your current network bandwidth usage, or test out what a 400/50 uplink would look like? I've had good success using dummynet/ipfw for the later (for example testing apps that are being accessed via lossy or bandwidth constricted links).
>
> bandwidth monitoring wise - i installed darkstat(1) on my pfsense office router.  this allows me to monitor and gauge our bandwidth utilization, and while it's not super high-rez it does a good job for my uses.
>
> cheers,
> -pete
>
> (1)https://unix4lyfe.org/darkstat/
>
> --
> Pete Wright
> pete at nomadlogic.org
> @nomadlogicLA

Test out the connection. ‘Cause as we all know, it will  “speeds up to 400/50” that I will be getting. Then Darkstat on the pfsense unit when we move the office over. Planning to go with Mark’s suggested iperf (Thank you Mark!) on a box I pull from the recycling shelf to test the connection while the space is being built out. Fingers crossed that will bring me fewer surprises and inform all parties as to the nature of our connection.
Cheers for the advice.