[talk] Raspberry Pi 4 BSD compatibility [OT]

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Mon Oct 28 15:41:31 EDT 2019

> On Oct 21, 2019, at 9:56 AM, George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:
>
> John C. Vernaleo:
>> Last I heard OpenBSD supports everything except wifi on the pinebook.  I
>> believe the others are similar.  I haven't personally confirmed yet as
>> my pinebook is currently under a pile of papers on my desk, but it does
>> have a date with an openbsd install very soon.
>
> Oh, funny.  That's precisely why I didn't order a Pinebook. I'm sure
> there's a lot of other hardware under my piles that will shock me.
>
> USB wifi tends to be my default choice, anyways, so that's not a deal
> killer to me.

This is OT, but can you post a list of those that you find not terrible?

I’ve been doing some work with co-working spaces and would kill for a high quality USB dongle I could recommend when a client has some built-in nonsense that’s too old or barfs on 802.11k or other new stuff that it shouldn’t.

The reviews for all USB wifi are awful, and our experience with walk-in folks using various dongles you find at Best Buy have been universally bad (could just be windows drivers I guess?).