[talk] COVID-19 testing without proprietary software

Ibsen S Ripsbusker ibsens at ripsbusker.no.eu.org
Tue Aug 17 15:53:13 EDT 2021

My great and good friends,

I was excited to learn that BinaxNOW doesn't require a smart
phone, since some other at-home tests do. Unfortunately, that won't
be accepted by the place I need the test for (a doctor's office).

Since you might be interested in my other discoveries, I include
below some problems with other places.

Rite Aid runs proprietary software and requires a Google account
https://baseline.google.com/enroll/account/covid19mtch

My local pharmacy runs proprietary software on a smartphone, only.
Furthermore, it's apparently hard to use; I requested that my assistant
register for me on her smartphone, and even she had trouble.
https://myrx.io/

CVS runs proprietary JavaScript. A separate inconvenience is that
they require a "vehicle".
https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing/covid-scheduler?symptoms=covid

Walgreens runs proprietary JavaScript on the website, and I couldn't
find a telephone number to see if it was possible to schedule
by telephone.

CityMD does not require proprietary software per se, but it requires
that you receive text messages when there is a long wait, because
this is how they manage the waitlist. They don't accept appointments.

I tried pharmacies first because most doctor's offices don't have it, but
I might wind in the end going to a doctor's office.

With distinguished salutations,
Ibsen