[announce] NYC*BUG Upcoming

NYC*BUG Announcements announce at lists.nycbug.org
Mon Jan 25 09:37:13 EST 2016

We said we had an exciting list of upcoming meetings--and we weren't
lying.  Tentatively this is the lineup, although we are still working on
getting some of the details up.  All meetings will (likely) be in the
backroom of Stone Creek.

* February 3 "shell-fu" Isaac (.ike) Levy

* March 2 "Discussion of the Past and Future of PID 1 on BSD" Raul Cuza
     Raul's meeting is something of a reply to reaffirmation of the BSD
init/rc systems, in the face of systemd

* April 6 "Debugging with llvm" John Wolfe

* May 4 "Urchin: Putting an End to Sloppy Shell Code" Thomas Levine

* June 15 "Adventures in HardenedBSD" Shawn Webb
     Shawn will be coming up from Maryland for this meeting. Note the
date which was set as to not conflict with BSDCan

* July 6 "Meet the Smallest BSDs: RetroBSD and LiteBSD" Brian Callahan

* August 3 A *BSD Installfest
     This installfest will happen after HOPE, and is a great meeting to
publicize at HOPE. We should have fliers for this event at HOPE

* Sept 7 "Teaching FreeBSD" George Neville-Neil

Also note these other upcoming events:

* Tokyo, Japan: AsiaBSCon, March 10-13

* Ottawa, Canada: BSDCan, June 10-11
     with tutorials and the dev summit beforehand

* New York, NY: HOPE (Hackers on Planet Earth), July 22-24
     a great opportunity for more popular BSD-related presentations

************************

Feb 3: Isaac Levy on "shell-fu"
18:45, Stone Creek Bar & Lounge: 140 E 27th St

Abstract

shell-fu in 3 short talks

To say everything starts with the shell, is quite an understatement.
Portable shell programming does not have to be painful, exposing the raw
power of UNIX with shell can even be fun.

This talk is relevant for expert and novice alike, aimed at anyone who
uses UNIX systems.

Not the 'shell tricks' variety of talk, but a language discussion
focused on portability, and showing off how simple and profoundly
powerful portable shell can be.

We will cover:

    the 3 finger claw technique
    using atomic filesystem operations
    general shell-fu, input and variable handling

There is always something amazing to learn about sh(1).

Speaker Bio

Isaac (.ike) Levy is a crusty UNIX Hacker.

A long-time community contributor to the *BSD's, ike is obsessed with
high-availability and redundant networked servers systems, mostly
because he likes to sleep at night. Standing on the shoulders of giants,
his background includes partnering to run a Virtual Server ISP before
anyone called it a cloud, as well as having a long history building
internet-facing infrastructure with UNIX systems.

.ike has been a part of NYC*BUG since it was first launched in January
2004. He was a long-time member of the Lower East Side Mac Unix User
Group, and is still in denial that this group no longer exists. He has
spoken frequently on a number of UNIX and internet security topics at
various venues, particularly on the topic of FreeBSD's jail(8).