[Semibug] Why is Groff not used anymore?

Jonathan Drews jondrews at fastmail.com
Sun Aug 22 00:07:00 EDT 2021

Well I got some of my answers by reading the Groff manual:

Although WYSIWYG systems may be easier to use, they have a number
of disadvantages compared to troff:
• They must be used on a graphics display to work on a document.
• Most of the WYSIWYG systems are either non-free or are not very
portable.
• troff is firmly entrenched in all Unix systems.
• It is difficult to have a wide range of capabilities within the confines of
a GUI/window system.
• It is more difficult to make global changes to a document.
“GUIs normally make it simple to accomplish simple actions
and impossible to accomplish complex actions.” –Doug Gwyn
(22/Jun/91 in comp.unix.wizards)