[Semibug] Why is Groff not used anymore?

Michael W. Lucas mwlucas at michaelwlucas.com
Sun Aug 22 05:28:06 EDT 2021

On Sat, Aug 21, 2021 at 09:25:38PM -0600, Jonathan Drews wrote:
> Isn't it easier to compose the content in your favorite editor (EMACS, Vi, etc.)
> and then do the formatting for printing afterward? Last week a person at HAM-Bug
> demonstrated how to make tables with EMACS. It worked like a charm. It seems,
> to me, that it's easier to get the content right and then once that is done add in
> tokens to create the "pretty printing" as a second step.

Yes, it is easier to separate the two.

Groff is pretty tightly tied to Unix, and it doesn't do enough
formatting to replace LaTeX. Which requires too much user education to
beat the WYSIWYG packages.

==ml

--
Michael W. Lucas 	https://mwl.io/
author of: Absolute OpenBSD, SSH Mastery, git commit murder,