[nycbug-talk] g4u

pete wright pete
Sun Aug 22 21:45:02 EDT 2004

On Aug 21, 2004, at 3:21 PM, Kevin Reiter wrote:

> Would that include all the backups of config files from a working
> system,
> user accounts, etc., or is that more like a fresh install?  I've never
> tried
> PXE so I don't know how it works (yet.)

one thing to think about would be using the cfengine
(http://www.cfengine.org/) or something similar.  You can include the
cfengine with your base RamDisk image that would be loaded via PXE.

> One of the reasons I mentioned partimage is because when I used g4u,
> the
> image size was *huge* and I was looking for a different way to clone a
> box
> in case of a major failure (for a quick restore) without having to
> have a
> spare 19GB free in a directory somewhere.  Since partimage basically
> ignores
> unused space on the drive, the image tends to be a lot smaller, and in
> my
> case, able to fit on a CD.  For me, booting to a CD and having the
> image
> restored is a lot simpler and a huge time saver.  If PXE can do that,
> I'll
> give it a try..

not sure you want to use PXE to load that much data.  it can dole out a
bootable system image.  to restore from there i'm not sure what you
would do, i guess it depends on what your system layout is.  I like to
use bacula or (even XFS dumps on linux/irix) for system restores
because each provide fairly quick searchable restore procedures.

anyway thought i'd throw my 2bits in.

-p