[nycbug-talk] Fwd: no more apache updates

Pete Wright pete
Mon Jun 7 12:43:55 EDT 2004

Pete Wright wrote:

> G.Rosamond wrote:
>

>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>>> From: Henning Brauer <henning at openbsd.org>
>>> Date: June 6, 2004 9:48:36 AM EDT
>>> To: misc at openbsd.org
>>> Subject: no more apache updates
>>>
>>> The apache we ship with OpenBSD will stay at version 1.3.29. We will
>>> fix bugs, but there won't be any updates any more. 1.3.31 has been
>>> released under their "new" license which is less free than the previous
>>> one, and this is not acceptable.
>>>
>>> You know whom to complain to.
>>>

> woah.  no 2.x?  woah.  and i thought the debain folks were strict.
>
> -p

hey all,
    so i just read up on the thread regarding this decision.  i am not
on the openBSD list currently.  maybe someone on the nycbug list can
explain in better detail/clarity what the OBSD team finds wrong with the
ASF 2.0 license?   From my perspective, as a sysadmin, there are some
pretty interesting features in httpd 2.x that i was looking forward to.
What I gathered from the thread was aside from the license issues, the
httpd team was not very receptive in accepting patches from the obsd
team.  If that's true that's kinda lame :(

here is a link to a web-based thread of the discusion:
http://www.sigmasoft.com/~openbsd/archive/openbsd-misc/200406/msg00398.html

-p

--
~~~oO00Oo~~~