[nycbug-talk] Fwd: no more apache updates

G.Rosamond george
Mon Jun 7 11:54:02 EDT 2004

On Jun 7, 2004, at 12:43 PM, Pete Wright wrote:

> <snip>

> hey all,
>    so i just read up on the thread regarding this decision.  i am not
> on the openBSD list currently.  maybe someone on the nycbug list can
> explain in better detail/clarity what the OBSD team finds wrong with
> the ASF 2.0 license?   From my perspective, as a sysadmin, there are
> some pretty interesting features in httpd 2.x that i was looking
> forward to.  What I gathered from the thread was aside from the
> license issues, the httpd team was not very receptive in accepting
> patches from the obsd team.  If that's true that's kinda lame :(
>
> here is a link to a web-based thread of the discusion:
> http://www.sigmasoft.com/~openbsd/archive/openbsd-misc/200406/
> msg00398.html

This started a few months back. . .I don't remember licensing detail
changes, but there's threads and a writeup on the Free Software
Foundation site. . .

 From what I remember, the details of the change was irrelevant.  . .it
was the idea of change in the first place.

I remember Theo writing that once lawyers tell developers 'how to make
their software more free', there's a problem.

Some people have reacted that OBSD and the FSF went overboard, that
this wasn't a big deal.

Regardless, it does set a tone for everyone, which I think is right.
It's too easy for projects to evolve their licensing due to lawyer
input, and ultimately away from the FOSS community.