[nycbug-talk] Installfest

marco at metm.org marco
Sat Jun 12 17:26:03 EDT 2004

Thanks to George and Ike for stopping by last night.

I certainly got my money's worth in tech talk and tips.

I've been doing the solitary consultant thing for a while, so it was
good bouncing ideas off those two, while we were going through the
installs.

I'd be up to hosting another such event later in the summer if there is
interest.  I like the hands-on experience of going through problems
in a small group.

Hardware report:

The Mylex Raid controller seems flaky to me.  It lost the raid
configuration, and I had to do a little unplug cable, clear config dance
to get the volume back.  When we got the install down on the raid5
volume, we couldn't boot off of it.

We ended up ripping out the controller and plugging the 3 SCSI disks
into the adaptec controller on the Mobo.  Got a default install on the
first scsi disk.  I'm playing around with getting a Vinum volume (or
plex) on the other two.  If that works I'll try to put all three disks
into a Vinum volume, by booting off a spare ide drive.  But my newness
to BSD slows me down at times ;)

(I couldn't find how to put the Mylex controller into JBOD mode to try
vinum through that controller)

--
Marco