[nycbug-talk] CF card for soekris boxen

Okan Demirmen okan
Thu Jun 17 17:38:55 EDT 2004

On Thu 2004.06.17 at 17:32 -0400, Kit Halsted wrote:
> At 4:35 PM -0400 6/17/04, Isaac Levy wrote:
> <...>
> >Are CF cards even the way to go when building network
> >firewalls/routers (and space for even full size HD's is no big
> >deal...)- Are they actually easier to work with than HD's?
>
> Just from reading the OBSD list, they're definitely harder to use
> than regular HDs. Gotta mount 'em RO due to the limited number of
> write cycles, etc. The big advantage is that they're cool & quiet
> compared to something with spinning platters inside.

Yes, they do have a finite number of writes, but the advantages out
weigh the disadvantages. i don't bother with RO everything on my
flash card, though i have a few things in place to limit as much
as i can. i honestly can say when this card hits its last day, the
replacement for it will be far cheaper than what i originally paid,
despite the fact that the new card might be 2-3 larger, capacity-wise.

besides, as you pointed out, the less white noise, the better and
running these things cool and efficiently is nice.

okan

> >August meeting should be fun answering some of this stuff...
> >(In the meantime I'm staring at my old iPod sitting next to a torx
> >driver on the desk here...)
>
> Torx driver won't do you much good there. You need a "nylon tool" to
> crack that puppy.
>
> -Kit
> --
> safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -Benjamin Franklin
>
> "...qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
> (...if you would have peace, be prepared for war)  -Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Okan Demirmen <okan at demirmen.com>
PGP-Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB3670934
PGP-Fingerprint: 226D B4AE 78A9 7F4E CD2B 1B44 C281 AF18 B367 0934