[nycbug-talk] WWDC representation for NYCBUG

Bob Ippolito bob
Mon Jun 21 11:12:00 EDT 2004

On Jun 21, 2004, at 11:06 AM, mikel king wrote:

> Bob Ippolito wrote:
>
>> I'm attending WWDC later this month (28th-2nd), and I know a lot of
>> you own or maintain Apple gear, so I was wondering if there are any
>> pressing questions or issues that you all have that I can take with
>> me to San Fran.  I'm quasi-officially representing the MacPython
>> community on my ticket, but I'm sure I could be of some service to
>> the local BSD community as well.
>>
>> As the title suggests, this is a developers conference, so I will be
>> speaking with mostly engineers.  Questions and comments about Apple's
>> legal/political stance do not apply.  Also, it should be obvious that
>> it's hardly even worth asking questions about Apple's future plans
>> (beyond the Tiger release, anyway).  You've got a full week to come
>> up with stuff, so take your time.  If it's about a technical issue
>> please do a little research first (Google is your friend?) to make
>> sure that we're not asking for answers already available.
>>
>> Additionally, since I am and will be under NDA, I may not be able to
>> completely answer all inquiries immediately upon my return as some of
>> the information may be dependent on information Apple has not yet
>> made public which I will not legally be allowed to disclose.
>> However, I assure you that questions asked and comments raised are
>> better than those never heard :)
>>
> dhcp...For some reason I have had a lot of trouble with dhcp on 10.2
> and 10.3...workstations intermittently pickup and drop their settings.
> Most of my clients are mixed pc and mac, and it is always the macs
> giving trouble with the dhcp services. I gotten into the habit of
> using fixed ip on the macs cause they just refuse to cooperate.

This is probably because whichever dhcp client OS X uses can cause some
DHCP daemons to act retarded.  As far as I know, it's actually a bug in
your DHCP server.  I know the problem fixes itself whenever I restart
dhcpd.

-bob