[nycbug-talk] carp

michael lists
Wed Jun 23 15:33:21 EDT 2004

I'm reading the OpenBSD man page on carp and I'm unclear on the last part:

"Note: ARP balancing only works on the local network segment.
Connections which cross a router to arrive on the local network
segment will all appear to come from that router and be balanced
to the same host."

Does that mean that (per man example) carp0 and carp1 have to be on
the same local segment in order to fail over?  Or does that mean that
client machine requests that come over the router will always be
balanced to the same host?  I'm going to guess the former.

Michael

--
---