[nycbug-talk] carp

Marc Spitzer mspitze1
Wed Jun 23 15:59:37 EDT 2004

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:33:21 -0400
michael <lists at genoverly.net> wrote:

> "Note: ARP balancing only works on the local network segment.
> Connections which cross a router to arrive on the local network
> segment will all appear to come from that router and be balanced
> to the same host."
>
> Does that mean that (per man example) carp0 and carp1 have to be on
> the same local segment in order to fail over?  Or does that mean that

yes, carp is layer 2 load balancing.  As soon as you get to layer 3,
a router port, all layer 2  stuff stops.  Or to be more technical you
must be in the same layer 2 broadcast domain/segment for this to work.

> client machine requests that come over the router will always be
> balanced to the same host?  I'm going to guess the former.

Off hand I do not know if carp has the ability to do this, I do not
think so though. What you are looking at here is a sticky nat type thing
or a cisco local director type solution, it can be configured to be
sticky.  I also think IPF nat can do that, PF I have  not used.

marc