[nycbug-talk] Re: BSD Success Stories (fwd)

Charles Sprickman spork
Thu Sep 23 20:13:36 EDT 2004

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Dru wrote:

> The message follows but the basic gist is there's not enough of a BSD
> market to justify the cost of the pamphlets. This is in-line with the
> trend I've spoken about with some of you individually: publishers in
> general and O'Reilly in particular do not see BSD books as a viable
> market. Noone is arguing the _quality_ of BSD books (thanks to Lucas,
> Anderson, Lehey, et al.) but it does explain the skew in _quantity_. It
> also means that I won't be successful in pushing a second BSD book
> anytime soon (if at all) so I'm afraid the next book won't be on BSD.

Just curious, I noticed that No Starch Press has some decent titles,
especially the very beginner-friendly and comprehensive Lucas book.  The
last O'Reilly print catalog I received also had a little subsection of NSP
books...

Charles