[nycbug-talk] Re: BSD Success Stories (fwd)

Isaac Levy ike
Thu Sep 23 22:20:08 EDT 2004

Wordup George, Dru, All,

On Sep 23, 2004, at 9:41 PM, G.Rosamond wrote:

> But that doesn't make up for the numbers of people who buy books,
> which is the point of this thread.

Ok- understandable, but the implication of the thread seemed to be
relating the success of BSD out in the world, to book publishing sales-
which I don't think is necessarily fair.

If something works, and works well, and works transparently, there
isn't very much to discuss about it- so book sales are a bad way to
judge the success of the BSD's.

> Of course we want everyone to know the benefits. . .suits and techs
> both.

For sure, but to be straight, my point was that the eWeek article the
other day did outright damage to the LSF- insomuch as the market-driven
hype of the article, mixed with ignorance and just plain bad reporting,
made the LSF come off pretty bad.

The LSF itself, is a pretty cool project- I've been reading the docs
lightly since that thread and am happy with what I've read so far-
(thx. to Sunny for hitting me over the head!)  But do we want the same
crudola and misinformation, getting out there for the BSD's?  A
question worthy of debate.

IMO, no- it damages us long-term, though perhaps provides short-term
gains in market share or presence.

[...snip certs stuff...]

>>> Right. . .I do think it's worth creating a NYCBUG mailing list on
>>> the topic of a BSD certification.  Certainly BSD Mall is in a good
>>> position to sponsor, as they have a respected name in the community.
>>>  We can get a list of necessities for a certification brewed up
>>> through a dedicated mailing list.
>>
>> If there's interest in this, that's great- but I for one have had to
>> work with way too many techs with excellent certs, who didn't know a
>> nic from their ear.
>> I'll leave it at that.
>>

> Again, I think you missed the point.  Certs are of course mostly bs.
> But the manager in Dru's example wouldn't put money towards training
> without a cert.  I don't think Dru raised the cert issue because she
> needs initials after her name.

Like I said, If there's interest in this, that's great; and it sounds
like there's even a call for it, so someone who stands to gain should
give it a go.
Heck, in the end, I'd likely go for a BSD Cert- especially if it meant
I'd get to take a class taught by Dru! (and I'm saying that as a small
business who'd be paying for it out of pocket!)

Rocket,
.ike

--
P.S. My email address has changed with the incorporation of my
business, though structuredsystems email will continue to reach me.  I

isaac at diversaform.com
http://diversaform.com