rss//nntp Re: [nycbug-talk] Re: BSD Success Stories (fwd)

George Georgalis george
Tue Sep 28 13:06:20 EDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 12:35:51PM -0400, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>On Sep 28, 2004, at 12:21 PM, George Georgalis wrote:
>
>>On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 09:54:29PM -0400, Marc Spitzer wrote:

>>>ok pet tech peeve of mine, can we look at NNTP?  It gives us a much
>>>better interface to work with, SMTP was never designed to be threaded
>>>among other things.  NNTP is a much better interface for this type of
>>>stuff and you get archiving for free.   We can even use NNTPS for
>>>secure
>>>access.  And it has sasl, if it is compiled in so we can authenticate.
>>
>>Having never used NNTPS for more than 3 minutes, and not ever using
>>RSS, my first thought is what client to use? I spent a good long time
>>searching for a good RSS client once, and didn't find one.
>>
>>I'm going to have a hard time using something besides my mutt, I tried
>>gmane but didn't get comfortable with the interface... maybe I just
>>need
>>a good client to connect via NNTP...
>>
>>oh didn't see this one before.
>>http://www.methodize.org/nntprss/screenshots.html
>>
>>the linux screenshot looks interesting... don't have time to try it
>>now.
>>Looks like it requires java, weird, I guess. anybody more familiar with
>>nntp and rss care to comment?
>
>I think you may be confused.  An RSS->NNTP bridge is something
>completely unrelated (but cool, if you're into the NNTP thing).  RSS is
>basically a structured version of a web page that is broken down into
>"entries", as in slashdot or a blog.. so that you can reliably and
>cheaply see if the page has updated, and you can also (sometimes) read
>the content without actually going to the page and looking at all the
>crappy web design and banner ads.
>
>NNTP is to HTTP as NNTPS is to HTTPS.

huh? I thought nntp was a news protocol, works much like an imap
mailbox; and rss is something that distributes web page changes like a
news feed? am I way off?

// George

--
George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at galis.org