[nycbug-talk] BSD on a desktop (revisited)

Francisco Reyes lists
Sat Aug 6 23:53:03 EDT 2005

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005, George R. wrote:

> What I don't understand is the aterm/eterm/rxvt discussion.

Both rxvt and aterm use less memory than xterm. They use about 2MB less
than xterm (just double checked xterm vs aterm.. 2MB less on total memory
usage and 3MB less on loaded).

Have never used eterm.

> Transparency, lack of scroll bars, etc, is just to way overcomplicated when I
> just want a clean xterm.

For the longest I used rxvt because it's smaller than xterm.. and once had
a problem where rxvt didn't work. Tried aterm on the machine and worked.
Also checked memory footprint. If memory serves me well aterm used
slightly less memory. Have been using aterm ever since.

For a basic replacement for xterm with less memory comsumption I think
either aterm or rxvt will be fine.

Don't know which of the two has fancier features.. I don't use
anything fancy.

The only setting change I do for aterm is to setup the bar on the right an
increase the number of lines I can scroll back.

.Xdefaults
aterm*saveLines:      10000
aterm*scrollBar_right:  true

I believe there are some rare instances where a program will not work on
aterm/rxvt and would in xterm, but I don't recall ever encountering one..
I just think I read something once on archives.