[nycbug-talk] BSD on a desktop (revisited)

pete wright nomadlogic
Sun Aug 7 01:04:55 EDT 2005

On 8/6/05, George R. <george at sddi.net> wrote:
> Francisco Reyes wrote:
> > On Sat, 6 Aug 2005, Scott Robbins wrote:
> >
> >> I suspect that much of this discussion about WM's and terminals
> >> resembles a discussion I saw long ago on google about mutt and
> >> pine--someone posted, "People tend to give all sorts of technical
> >> reasons to support what is, in the end, an emotional decision."  :)
> >

> > Not entirely.. something like how much memory a program uses is not an
> > emotional decision specially if you have a range of machines you plan to
> > install including old machines with less memory.
>
> I agree with you Francisco, and we're also talking about what we're
> running on a desktop as a primary workstation/laptop.
>
> There's the central question of functionality plus resource usage.
>
> If it's a user new the BSD land, then you might go with KDE with it's
> greedy needs.
>
> But (when) we start doing regular online polls, I'd bet half the list
> uses fluxbox, and the other half xfce(4).  Except Hans, of course.
>
> What I don't understand is the aterm/eterm/rxvt discussion.
>
> I need something readable and clear, so I've never gone past
> xterm -bg black -fg green
> for any extended period of time.
>
> Transparency, lack of scroll bars, etc, is just to way overcomplicated
> when I just want a clean xterm.

yea i totally agree, when i have one off shell jobs, or know i'm going
to be able to complete a task in one sitting xterm is the way to go
(although  "-fg green" gman youre killing me ;p).  yet when i have
sessions open for long peroids of time, for me a tabbed shell is a
must as is a tabbed web browser.  i gave aterm a try, really i did but
it just never clicked with me.

-p

--
~~o0OO0o~~