[nycbug-talk] Re: talk Digest, Vol 14, Issue 9

swygue swygue
Thu Jan 13 10:20:14 EST 2005

> well i've found "dd" to be a very good imaging program for unix.  having
> g4u take that long does not sound right tho, perhaps some hardware is
> acting flakey?  as a side note, you do not have to build every FreeBSD
> app from source, especially Window Managers and X servers.  Some would
> argue the benefits of building these programs from source is a waste of
> time when compared to all the headaches and time of building and
> maintiaing these large apps from the ports tree.  that is unless you
> really need to change some config., so for these types of situations i
> generally use:
>
> pkg_add -r gnome
>
> or what ever the correct package name is...

Thanks for the tip pete, I have struggle with idea of which is better,
building from ports or pkg_add. I just think that when I build from
ports the program should work faster, although I have not been able to
prove that. I have pretty much given up on the g4u.

Coming from the Windows world, I am custom to spend time tweakoing my
OS just the way I want it, then ghosting (Symantec Ghost) my entire
harddrive.
Then whenever I screw up my system, badly enough, I just download the image.

I would love to have the same flexibility with FreeBSD. Because even
with pkg_add perfecting FreeBSD for desktop use is quite time
consuming. Not to mention configuring a custom Kernel and building
world.

I would like to hear how others have managed to accomplish this.

I have look on articles that details how to move FreeBSD to a bigger
disk and I think  this method may help. Any thoughts ?

Thanks