[nycbug-talk] Re: talk Digest, Vol 14, Issue 9

Marc Spitzer mspitzer
Thu Jan 13 10:35:32 EST 2005

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:20:14 -0500, swygue <swygue at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the tip pete, I have struggle with idea of which is better,
> building from ports or pkg_add. I just think that when I build from
> ports the program should work faster, although I have not been able to
> prove that. I have pretty much given up on the g4u.

well there is nothing stoping you from doing both make packages to
your spec and then install them as packages.

> Coming from the Windows world, I am custom to spend time tweakoing my
> OS just the way I want it, then ghosting (Symantec Ghost) my entire
> harddrive.
> Then whenever I screw up my system, badly enough, I just download the image.
>
> I would love to have the same flexibility with FreeBSD. Because even
> with pkg_add perfecting FreeBSD for desktop use is quite time
> consuming. Not to mention configuring a custom Kernel and building
> world.

umm on most of my bsd boxes it takes less then 1 hour to do src->
install, fast cpus are great.  What you really need is a safe place to
store your config files, from what I read above,  since unix config
files are text based just tar/bzip them up and mail them to yahoo or
gmail.  Then if you toast your system reinstall/rebuild the os
reinstall your packages and pull down your config.

> I would like to hear how others have managed to accomplish this.
>
> I have look on articles that details how to move FreeBSD to a bigger
> disk and I think  this method may help. Any thoughts ?

one word of warning, dd will do an exact copy so if you move to a
bigger disk you my not see any size difference.

marc